Tuesday, February 28, 2006

What's up with Zillow.com?

When my grandmother called me to tell me about a real estate website, I almost had a heart attack. This is my generation- the generation of technology... despite the shock, I checked the site out and think it is a pretty cool concept- one I surely wish I had come up with. It seems that some wonder if real estate agents see Zillow as an impediment or competition to our jobs. Questions the Sarasota Herald has been asking seem to indicate this.

Zillow is good in moderation, but what people have to realize is that it is a new site, and that the comparable sales are generated and picked by computer. I tried about 10 properties out and found Zillow to be a good bit off. To its credit, it was right on two parcels. Before you try to sell your based on the figure Zillow spits out, consider a few things:

1. Computers do not have nuances programmed in. Is your house on a corner lot? Does is have granite countertops? You get my drift.
2. Everyone in any given neighborhood know the general prices homes have been going for. Zeroing in on the exact dollar amount is more tricky.
3. Some of the comps Zillow found for me were months old. For instance I bought my home over two months ago and it was not updated. The market looks much different today than it did months ago.

My advice: Zillow in moderation- and consult an agent or appraiser if you want a more accurate price.